Award-wining Belarusian journalist Pavel Sheremet murdered in Kiev
Ukrainian journalist Pavel Sheremet, working for the investigation site Ukrayinska Pravda, was killed on 20 July 2016 by the explosion of a car bomb in the center of Kiev, have we learned from the Interior Ministry.
Pavel Sheremet, 44, was on his workplace in a vehicle belonging to the owner of Ukrayinska Pravda when the car was blown up, said an adviser to the interior minister. Two witnesses said they saw an explosion in the journalist's car.
The investigative journalist obtained international distinction with his coverage of political oppression in his home country Belarus.
According to Ukraine’s President Petro Poroshenko “his death is an attempt to destabilise the country. Others say it is an attack on freedom of information. US State Department expressed disbelief at the killing of Pavel Sheremet and said the FBI is helping Ukrainian authorities in their investigations, a communiqué told. UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova condemned the assassination of Pavel Sheremet and urged the authorities to bring those responsible to justice.
Pavel Sheremet has been laid to rest in his native Belarus. Thousands of mourners gathered to lay flowers on Pavel Sheremet’s grave and at a funeral ceremony at the Church of All Saints in Minsk. Ukrayinska Pravda was founded by Georgiy Gongadze, an investigative journalist killed 16 years ago whose murder helped to bring the Orange Revolution.
- Liverpool and Plymouth fans remembering Daniel May
- From Prince to George Michael: Remembering the celebrities who passed away in 2016
- Five known facts about Parkinson's disease
- Fatal collision for Magda Tadaj in Croydon
- Antibiotic resistance: 1 death every 3 seconds in 2050
- Religious women less likely to die early
- Reduced death risk with coffee
- How can drugs kill?
- Bloomberg telecaster Paul Gage died from aneurysm
- Journalism ‘legend’ Eric Langton died of cancer at 67
- Award-wining Belarusian journalist Pavel Sheremet murdered in Kiev
- Investigative journalist William Gaines passed away with Parkinson disease
- Athletics mourning death of veteran journalist Mark Ouma
- Award-winning journalist Sydney Schanberg, hero of the film "The Killing Fields," died
- Reduced risk of Alzheimer's deaths by alcohol
- Natural disasters: More than 600,000 dead in 20 years
- Million deaths from curable cancer people a lack of access to radiotherapy and surgery
SOCIOLOGY OF DEATH
QUEST FOR IMMORTALITY
QUOTE OF THE DAY
- Biological death v/s Clinical death. When does a person really die?
- Organ donors; new concern for them following drug overdose.
- The new corporate world : well dressed,stressed and depressed.
- BEES AID TO HUMAN LIFE
- Melanoma: high risk of death among pregnant women
- Osteoporosis: premature death due to fractures for elders
- Blood test: premature death’s biomarker
- Reduce the risk of premature death by regularly consuming spicy foods
- Premature death: link between air pollution and heart disease